First Presbyterian Church is seeking a Director of Children and Family Ministries. A full job description is below. For information or to apply, contact Scott Thayer at email@example.com.
TITLE: Director of Children and Family Ministries
PURPOSE: The Director of Children and Family Ministries will lead the vital and strategic Children’s Ministries Team as it strives to fulfill its mission, goals, and duties of evangelizing and discipling children (birth – 5th grade) and empowering families to love and serve Jesus. The person in this position will develop, recruit & equip, coordinate and oversee the children and family ministries of the church.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director of Children and Family Ministries is directly responsible to the Associate Pastor for Discipleship and serves as staff resource person to the Children’s Ministry Team and the CE/Discipleship Committee.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Director of Children and Family Ministries must have a personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, a love for children and their maturing in faith, as well as, a heart to equip parents in their role as spiritual leaders to their kids. It is preferable that they have a Bachelor’s degree in education or a relevant field. Additionally, it will be helpful if a candidate has a minimum of three years’ experience working with children, along with developing leaders and administering programs. This person must also believe in the authority of the Bible, regularly spend time studying God’s Word, and faithfully attend worship. This is an individual who seeks to honor Christ in all relationships and maintains a lifestyle which is consistent with Scripture and the Essential Tenets of ECO.
This person must have excellent interpersonal skills, teaching gifts, experience recruiting and developing volunteers, and the ability to lead a vibrant growing children and family ministries. The ability to maintain and oversee the budget for the Children’s Ministry Team Committee is also needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Affirmation and support of the mission and values of First Presbyterian Church
- Passion for evangelizing and discipling children, as well as, resourcing parents
- Ability to relate well with people of all ages
- Clear understanding of Biblical truth
- Ability to cast a clear and compelling vision and communicate it effectively
- Ability to lead by enlisting, equipping, encouraging, and entrusting a growing group of volunteers
- Self-directed, teachable spirit, positive attitude, flexibility, and sense of humor
- Ability to encourage creativity and risk taking; develops new ideas and programs
- Pursues learning, growth, and new models of ministry
- Ability to build teams and foster a spirit of team work throughout all areas of the ministry
- Ability to plan ahead, is well-organized, and detail-oriented
- Proficiency using computers, Microsoft Office, internet, and social media
- Skills in written and verbal communication
RESPONSIBILITIES – In collaboration with the Children’s Ministry Team:
- Develops and implements ways to involve children, and further enhance children’s time spent, in Sunday morning worship services.
- Leads the children’s evangelism and discipleship programs (currently Sunday School and Mid-Week J.A.M Jr., J.A.M., & 45 Club) by actively recruiting, developing, resourcing and encouraging leaders & teachers, guiding curriculum selection, ordering materials and curriculum, along with, promoting the programs within and beyond the church.
- Collaborates with the Adult Discipleship Ministry Team and Youth Committee regarding all evangelism and discipleship programming to ensure consistency and scheduling.
- Recruits, determines curriculum, and oversees Children’s Church program.
- Recruits and provides leadership and oversight for the Nursery program (including paid and volunteer staff).
- Collaborates with Associate Pastor for Youth to develop an effective strategy of transitioning 5th grade students into First Pres’ Middle School ministry.
- Works with Coordinators to lead an effective summer outreach program (Summer JAM Camp, VBS).
- Regularly evaluates all children’s programs and ministries with volunteers, leaders, and the Children’s Ministry Team to ensure effectiveness, vitality, growth, outreach, and life change.
- Intentionally looks for new ministry opportunities or programs which might enhance First Pres’ Children and Family Ministries.
- Develops, organizes, and leads effective ways to equip and encourage parents to disciple their children.
- Plans, leads, and participates in opportunities for children and for families to do service projects and mission trips.
- Plans special events for children and families during Advent, Lent, and other seasons.
- Oversees children’s benevolence giving.
- Teaches the Preparation for Worship Class (2nd-5th graders & their parents exploring the different elements of worship, including baptism and the Lord’s Supper).
- Makes sure that all volunteers and paid staff working with children comply with the church’s Child Protection Policy by having a background check and taking the required Child Safety Training.
- Attends staff meetings and actively collaborates and participates with other church staff and leaders.
- Pursues possibilities of partnering with other church children’s ministries to provide quality retreat, camp, and/or special events for 4th & 5th grade students to grow in their faith