Celebrate the Easter season with several special events at First Presbyterian Church.
Palm Sunday (March 25)
Palm Sunday is the day that we remember Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem a week before his death (Matthew 21).
- Worship at 9 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., with Sunday school at 10:15 a.m.
- Sermon: “What’s Your Chant?”
Maundy Thursday (March 29)
Maundy Thursday is when we remember the final meal Jesus held with his disciples in the Upper Room. At that time, he instituted the Lord’s Supper (Matthew 26).
- Worship will be held at 7 p.m. in the sanctuary.
- Communion will be served.
Good Friday (March 30)
- The Annual Good Friday Breakfast will be held in Showker Hall at 6:45 a.m. Men and boys of all ages are invited. A donation of $5 is suggested to help cover the costs of the breakfast.
- Good Friday Prayer Walk, noon to 1 p.m. The 31st annual Harrisonburg downtown ecumenical Good Friday prayer walk will be based on the “Stations of the Cross”. The walk begins at Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, and ends at St. Stephens United Church of Christ, stopping at a total of 10 downtown churches and public buildings. Led by someone carrying a large cross, we will stop at each station, where a member of the local “Biblical Storytellers Guild” will tell the passage from the Gospel of Mark and a local church leader will lead in a prayer. We will then move to the next station. This is a contemplative, communal, and spiritual practice of shared ecumenical worship and witness. Please join us! The walking route is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
Community Easter Egg Hunt (March 31)
Our annual Easter Egg hunt on Court Square will begin with everyone meeting in the church parking lot at 10 a.m. Bring a basket and invite a friend.
Easter Sunday (April 1)
“He is risen!” Celebrate the resurrection of Jesus with us.
- 9:00 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. worship services
- Sermon: “Empty Cross! Empty Tomb! Burning Hearts!”
- No Sunday school